Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Donald James Sheets.

Back in November (17-24) the kids and I flew out to visit my family around Thanksgiving time. A few days after we arrived my Grandpa Sheets passed away. I was really sad to have not had the chance to see him before he died, but grateful that I was able to talk to him on the phone and let him know that I love and appreciate him. And I was thankful that since we were already in Utah we were able to fly out with family to California (Bry met us in SLC and flew with us to Oakland) to be there for his funeral.

(Some of the above pictures are of Grandpa and Grandma, and others are with Kim (his dear second wife) and Kristina (our step "auntie" ;0))...who we love! We are so grateful to have them as family.

I hadn't been to California (to visit family) since my Grandma's funeral when I was 12yrs, so although it was a short trip it was a wonderful one with great reunions and reminiscing. (My Parents had planned to have us stay in a hotel, but I asked if we could stay with my Uncle Bruce and Aunt Nilda. My Grandparents lived with them while I was growing up and it was there that we would visit every summer. I have so many fun and fond childhood memories in that house.)

I was flooded with memories as I walked in the front door and got choked up as I was welcomed by Bruce & Nilda. The giant fish tank that used to house salt water fish, the front bathroom where we would hide treasures in the drawers, the big stair case, the pool, the list goes on and on. I was so grateful that Bry and the kids were there with me to soak it all up and to spend time with the Sheets side of the family.


The day of the funeral was a long one. Brie and Alex were good sports considering. Poor, exhausted Alex ended up falling asleep on the foyer couch. Brie snuck a cat nap at some point.



My family participated in some of the funeral service. Dad gave the eulogy, Matt & I sang a duet ("Be Still My Soul", Bry accompanied for us) and our whole family sang "Our Savior's Love". I think the most touching thing for me that day was seeing family and friends, from the Sheets and Chau families alike, coming together to celebrate Grandpa. It was a sweet day.

Before heading home Aunt Sheryl and Uncle Steve had us over for a surprise birthday brunch for Em.

the group.
(left to right. Kristina, Kim, Steve, Sheryl, Marci, Kevin's son, Charlene, Dad, Brie, Mom, Matt, Kermit the Dog, Em, Rach, Tim, Me, Bry, Alex, Bruce and Nilda)

Kent.
Thanks for being our photographer
by day and police officer by night ;0)


It was so sweet of them and knowing Sheryl, the food was delicious and beautifully prepared. The chocolate chocolate cake was so y.u.m.m.y. AND it was wonderful to have one last chance to mingle with family, particularly cousins, aunts and uncles that I hadn't seen in years.

We miss you Grandpa, but are grateful to know that you're with Grandma...and in a better place. Thank you for leaving us a legacy of resourcefulness and hard work. We love you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got so many pictures. Thanks Sar.