Looking back over the last several weeks, October has been a stressful one for me. We haven't had a ton going on, but it's been a time of transition and growth. Bry's program has been getting increasingly demanding, Alex switched to one nap a day and Brie switched to quiet time (what was I thinking switching both of them at the same time? Over the last couple of weeks it has left me with very little quiet time for myself during the day.), the weather has been beautiful but crazy and unpredictable, and Bry and I have also both felt that the Lord is really tutoring us and inviting us to take things to the next level spiritually. It's been hard, but good and we're trying to stay close to Him...which has helped us to stay closer to each other.
Aside from all of that, here are some things that have gone on during October...
Watching October General Conference as a family. We tried little snacks/treats to help Brie focus on certain words throughout the talks. It worked pretty well.
With Alex no longer taking a morning nap we've started going to the Weber Library's Thursday morning story times. It didn't hurt that the first time they went they gave out free books! Here was our most recent "Halloween" story time where Brie dressed up as Tinkerbell (thanks to the Outlet ;0)).
We've been trying to do a monthly family outing. This month we planned to go to a pumpkin patch to take pictures and pick out pumpkins. The day before had been a tiring one for me & Bry so we opted to sleep in, make breakfast together and buy pumpkins from good ol' Shop 'n Save. (This is progress for me folks! Too often I have pushed my agenda for "fun" sake...or with certain pictures in mind. It felt good to take the simpler path that would be easier on everyone.) It was a great morning! We picked out a pumpkin to represent each member of our family...here Alex is carrying ones for him and his baby brother :0)
For our Family Home Evening the following Tuesday (Bry has a late class Monday evenings), we painted our pumpkins. Brie LOVED painting layer after layer of color...and then having me help her paint a face on. Take note of the eye lashes she painted on herself ;0)
Don't you think mine looks like me? ;0)
For whatever reason I've been trying out a lot of new recipes this month. I'm trying to add some variety to the ones we already have. (Meagan, a friend of mine, was so sweet to give me a new vegetarian cookbook. I've had fun trying a lot of recipes from it.) Bry is a good sport and lets me quiz him after each meal to see if he likes it and what suggestions he has for next time. If Brie likes it I draw a Minnie Mouse head on the recipe...kid approved (at least Brie approved ;0)).
before my hair "trim" ;0)
I love that for being a "photographer" I rarely pay someone to take family pictures for us. This year was no different. Laura Hintze was great to accommodate my last minute request to snap a few shots of us outside our place. We did get some good ones, but I had to post this one...does anyone else have the same experience with family pictures? Come on kids, look at the camera...smile!
As a side note, after months of long but scraggly hair, I asked Bry if he could trim my hair for me...just an inch or so to get rid of the split ends and such. After he was done I turned around to find quite the pile of hair on the ground. He did an awesome job cutting it straight across and nice and even, but ended up cutting off closer to 3 inches. To anyone else they probably wouldn't even notice that I got my hair cut, but it seems so much shorter after 2 years of trying to grow it out. Oh well, Bry was such a good sport to cut it for me in the first place, and there are definitely no more split ends ;0)
Other than a few posts that I have in the pipeline (Oktoberfest 2012, our little Snow White, already 18 mos...) that basically sums things up as of late. Crazy that November is almost here!
**I just have to add, life has seemed hard lately, but it's so good too. I know that Heavenly Father has our best interest in mind and am grateful for His patience with me as I learn along the way.**









1 comment:
I have to say, Sarah, that your hair looks beautiful--that's the firs thing that I thought when I saw the picture. I recognize that this might before trimming split ends, but regardless, you are looking wonderful! You and the fam!
I love seeing your weekly recipe board. It's fun seeing the tradition grow and perpetuate and I really think that that one thing will be such a stress-reliever for you as the years go on.
P.S. concerning Brieber being a busy body, I just think back to the article about French parenting that talked about children learning to get used to parents having "adult time" when the kids were expected to take care of themselves. I'm not sure how this could apply with Brie now, but just a thought as you keep moving forward.
And I think of me and you following mom around as her little "talkers". :) I can't wait to see what Brie is like in school. She's going to love it, I think.
Post a Comment