Monday, July 27, 2009

Pioneer Day, cont'd.

For our "getaway" we spent the night at Grandpa and Grandma's the 23rd and ending up spending all of Pioneer Day with them. It was definitely the most memorable and fun one I've had!

The day started off by Grandma making us a delicious breakfast. (She is a an excellent cook and hostess.) Then we headed up to Ogden to see a parade float that our Aunt Jolynn had helped to make... as well as our cousin Libby who was one of the carrots :0)


Afterward we ducked into Arby's for some shade and air conditioning and to get a bite to eat. It was Brie's first time using a restaurant booster chair...crazy how fast she is growing up!Grandpa was so sweet to share his lemonade with Brie. He'd "siphon it" into a straw and then pour it into her mouth...she looked like a little hungry bird with her mouth wide open :0)

From there we headed up to see a beautiful home near Weber State's campus that Grandpa and Grandma own. Several years ago Grandpa helped his father build it, so it holds a lot of sentimental value for him. Today they have people who rent it...so they visit often to maintain the house and yard.

Next, as I already posted about, they took us to get icrecream cones at Farr's. Yum! (Cherry chocolate chip, Keebler Grasshopper and Pistachio were the flavors of choice.)

To finish off the day we went to Rod and Jolynn's in Layton for a BBQ. What a GREAT way to spend the holiday...with family!


Pi-o-neer: One that goes before, showing the others the way to follow.

Just a thought or two on pioneers: My dad is a pioneer in our family; he was the first to join the church in his family and is still the only member. How grateful I am for the sacrifices he made AND continues to make to be a member of the church and to have raised us in the gospel.

On my mom's side, the Robertsons, we have ancestors who travelled from various countries and who crossed the plains...motivated by faith and tesimony. I honestly can't imagine the hard, HARD circumstances they lived in, but how grateful I am for their courage and their faith. (My mom has definitely carried on that tradition of faith and courage and determination!)

In a way we are all pioneers.

As we turn away from past and poor ways of doing things we forge ahead into new territory. I hope that in our little family Bryan and I can be pioneers for our children...that we can turn from any patterns and habits and traditions that are not becoming and choose a better way. How grateful I am for a Savior that makes that possible and who will walk with us every step of the way.

(Click link below to watch a short video clip on Pioneers.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2rV0ey6Op0

2 comments:

Denise said...

Jeremy and I have been big into pioneers lately. We watched the movie Trek West and it totally ruined us. So powerful.

britta said...

I have so much to say about the three or four posts I just read... first of all, your "quarterly getaways" sound dreamy! What a fantastic idea!!!! Seriously- Mark and I REALLY need to do something like that... even just a date night! A few weeks ago we FINALLY went on our first date- just the two of us since Mel was born. Ridiculous right? It's just so hard to leave him when I don't have family around... but we need to.
Second- I want to adopt your grandparents- or have them adopt me! :) How sweet of them to play hostesses, babysitters, grandparents, etc. It is obvious they are two of the sweetest people in the world!
Third, your actually date- just the two of you sounds like heaven! As you can assume, Mark and I haven't gone to the temple TOGETHER since before Mel was born. :(
Fourth- what an amazing pioneer day you guys had! I'm trying not to be jealous of the whole thing... for the most part I LOVE living in Ohio.... but then there ARE times I miss having family so close by.
Last of all, as always you inspire me with your thoughts, this time on pioneers. Every time I read your blog, I am inspired to do better- be better, and closer to our Heavenly Father and Saviour. Thank you!