
(10 October 2011)
About six months ago we put up a cute alphabet on Brie's closet door and started singing the ABC's with her. I didn't want to do much else with the alphabet at that point since she was only 2. Then a few weekends ago I talked to a girl who teaches Kindergarten. She said that with the new curriculum (that the Federal government is imposing/putting into place) that by the end of Kindergarten the kids will be expected to be writing in sentences. In sentences?! Are you kidding me? Needless to say I came home and decided to be a little more assertive about teaching Brie the letters of the alphabet. The following Monday we started with the letter A. I set up our "Alphabet Table" in the dining room, wrote a Big A and a little a on our board and then had Brie be an alphabet detective with me. We looked around the house for anything that started with an A and set it on our table. Throughout the day the meals and activities centered on the letter A. That night we had Angel Hair Pasta with Artichoke hearts and Asparagus. It was different but fun. And so our learning of the letters began. I have to admit that by day 3 I realized that I subconsciously set too high of expectations.... wanting her to recognize each letter as the days went on. I started getting frustrated when she wasn't able to tell me that Animal started wtih A and that Crackers began with C. Thankfully I had a quick change of heart and realized that if nothing else I wanted her to have fun with the alphabet. Plus our daily letter was helping me get more excited about each new day.... it provided a nice structure to which I could add my own personality and creativity. In any case, we're on the letter O and are really enjoying each day. I'm grateful for our little Alphabet Table and feel that through it the Lord is helping me to be a more proactive and attentive mom...just what I was needing!
At the end of the alphabet I'm going to compile a book for Brie to have. Hopefully it will help her to remember some of the fun things we've done, crazy things we've eaten, and letters of the alphabet that we've started to learn together.
**Once we're finished I'll devote another post
with a compilation of pictures, activities, menus, etc.**
with a compilation of pictures, activities, menus, etc.**


2 comments:
You are a great mom! What an awesome idea!!
We are starting ABC days as well, but we are doing a letter a week. I would be overwhelmed trying to come up with something very day. You = awesome.
Post a Comment