10-11 November 2015
One day I got a promotional email from Frontier Airlines about a BIG special they had going. I emailed it to both sides of the family in hopes that it would facilitate someone coming out to visit. Within a few hours Rach and Starla had bought tickets! We kept it on the down low so that it would be a surprise for you kids. Dad had plans of visiting Utah and attending the Provo Temple while there, but this would be my one chance to attend the temple for November. We decided it could be a dual purpose road trip so Rach, Star, Bry and I started scheming. We decided that Brie would enjoy coming along and that sweet little Miss Aimee needed to come along (to be with her M.O.M. = Maker of Milk), so I got a babysitter for Tuesday afternoon to watch the boys til Dad got finished with lectures, and Dad said that he'd take care of the rest. I had the car packed with overnight bags, snacks and even (the top portion of) Aimee's bassinet then picked you, Brie, up from school with an excited grin on my face. When you climbed in the van and spotted the stuff you wondered what was going on. I handed back a snack bag with a clue in it, it mentioned something about "the snacks for our GNO road trip to Chicago"! I had to be pretty tricky to not let on that we'd just happen to be meeting up with two surprise visitors as well :0) The drive up was great and I tried to be sneaky when Aunt Rach called to give me updates of their location. We made a side stop at McDonald's to pick up a little food and do a Pit stop AND so that the timing of "our pickup" would be spot on. After our stop we got back in the van and I had you cover your eyes so that "the next stop" would be a surprise. We drove the 5 minutes to the O'Hare Airport, slowed down and pulled alongside the curb Just as I was opening the van door and you uncovered your eyes, they stepped over to your seat and said surprise! You were so surprised and excited. It was the best! I LOVE when surprises work out :0) Anyway, we went to Portillo's for dinner then drove over to a courtyard Marriott for the night. Aimee was beyond tired so I was especially grateful that her little bassinet fit perfectly in the closet. She slept while we had fun. I pulled out little "Chicago GNO" popcorn snack boxes I'd put together, Aunt Rachie pulled out some really fun coloring books and colored pencils and we colored, snacked and watched the Food Network.
The next morning we stopped by Mariano's (an AMAZING grocery store that Sharon Sagers recommended) to get pastries for breakfast. Oh my goodness, the selection blew us away! We definitely got our fill of sweets as we passed around our {group selected} sampler of donuts, pastries and such. Afterwards I got dropped off at the Chicago Temple to take part in initiatories. I came out to the sun streaming and a gorgeous fall day and felt so much love from Heavenly Father. I was so grateful for Aunt Rach and Starla making time in the day and watching you girls so I could attend the temple. The rest of the day we spent in downtown Chicago: walking Michigan Avenue, doing an architecture boat cruise, eating more hot dogs :0), going to Dylan's Candy Bar and visiting the American Girl Doll Store! And can I just add that those two were SO sweet (and stubborn ;0)) and wouldn't let me pay for anything?? THANK YOU, GIRLS!!
In order to not get home too too late we decided that we get dinner on the way home. We found a pizza place that was about an hour in the direction of home. We ordered a Chicago deep dish pizza with tomatoes and sausage, we were really excited about it, but none of us really liked it. Maybe if we had gone with different toppings? It was fun to at least try. Aunt Rachie was such a good sport to drive us home in the crazy CRAZY weather! It was a complete deluge of rain with lighting and almost constant wind. We were so grateful to pull up to the house safe and sound. And I was so thankful for Dad working from home on Wednesday AND watching you boys so that us girls could enjoy our day in the city. Thank you, honey!!
In order to not get home too too late we decided that we get dinner on the way home. We found a pizza place that was about an hour in the direction of home. We ordered a Chicago deep dish pizza with tomatoes and sausage, we were really excited about it, but none of us really liked it. Maybe if we had gone with different toppings? It was fun to at least try. Aunt Rachie was such a good sport to drive us home in the crazy CRAZY weather! It was a complete deluge of rain with lighting and almost constant wind. We were so grateful to pull up to the house safe and sound. And I was so thankful for Dad working from home on Wednesday AND watching you boys so that us girls could enjoy our day in the city. Thank you, honey!!




No comments:
Post a Comment