"Dale Chihuly, born in 1941, is a contemporary glass artist whose imaginative work as a glassblower and sculptor revolutionized the art form. His method of glass blowing is primarily responsible for the evolution of the Studio Glass movement, which no longer involves the lone artist creating work on his own in a studio, but it is now more of a collaborative effort among a team of artists. His use of dramatic, vibrant color, line of the glass and unique assemblage of the sculpture has made him a pioneer in his field." (www.wisegeek.com)
I'm sure that I had seen blown glass before, but it wasn't until my family's happening upon Chihuly's Bridge of Glass a few years ago (Summer 2007) that I really took a liking for it. His work is AMAZING!!!
To learn more about Chihuly's Bridge of Glass, click here.)In any case, I had forgotten about the art until my friend Ashley Petersen invited me to "make some glass flowers" at Thanksgiving Point.
Walking into the studio and art gallery made me feel like I was back in Tacoma...of course it wasn't Chihuly's work, but it only took us 30 minutes to get there :0)
Ashley made two flowers and let me make one (that she'll be giving away as a mothers' day present). It was a pretty quick and fun process...well, considering that we were highly assisted by one of the workers! In any case, if you want a bit of culture and a fun artistic outing, head to Thanksgiving Point and check out the Art Institute and Art Gallery.



1 comment:
They totally remind me of the ceiling at the Bellagio. Glass art is beautiful.
Post a Comment