Thursday, November 11, 2010

G.R.A.T.I.T.U.D.E.

(A gratitude turkey, that Brie and I made,
to help us get more into the Season of Thanksgiving.)

Today I opened my General Conference issue of the Ensign and started browsing for a talk I can share for visiting teaching tomorrow. My eyes fell upon, "The Divine Gift of Gratitude" by President Thomas S. Monson. I was touched by so many of the things he had to say and found myself underlining many lines and stories. What a GREAT talk! (The funny thing is that I couldn't remember having heard it during conference. I went back to my notes and had only two things written. Did I doze off during his talk or did I just get distracted? In any case, it was a testimony to me of the power of going back and reading the conference talks. We really DO find new things that are pertinent and applicable for us at the time.) Here are a few of my favorite thoughts from his talk....
  • “And one of them [the ten lepers], when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God, And fell down on his face at his feet, giving him thanks..."
---I was impressed that this leper not only recognized the blessing, but outwardly recognized and humbly gave thanks to the Lord.
  • "My brothers and sisters, do we remember to give thanks for the blessings we receive? Sincerely giving thanks not only helps us recognize our blessings, but it also unlocks the doors of heaven and helps us feel God’s love."
  • "We have all experienced times when our focus is on what we lack rather than on our blessings. Said the Greek philosopher Epictetus, 'He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.'"
  • "Regardless of our circumstances, each of us has much for which to be grateful if we will but pause and contemplate our blessings."
  • "This is a wonderful time to be on earth. While there is much that is wrong in the world today, there are many things that are right and good. There are marriages that make it, parents who love their children and sacrifice for them, friends who care about us and help us, teachers who teach. Our lives are blessed in countless ways."
  • "If ingratitude be numbered among the serious sins, then gratitude takes its place among the noblest of virtues."
  • "The English author Aldous Huxley wrote, 'Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted.'"
---Sad but true. I know I am often guilty of this.
  • "My brothers and sisters, to express gratitude is gracious and honorable, to enact gratitude is generous and noble, but to live with gratitude ever in our hearts is to touch heaven."
(To read his full talk online, click here.)

In any case, I was so grateful to have read this talk now. Especially as we start preparing and getting excited for Thanksgiving. This year I'm trying to put more focus on making it a SEASON of Thanksgiving, rather than just a decadent meal. Anyway, we truly are blessed!!

I want to dedicate a post, sometime this month, to some of my blessings. Til then, what are some of the things that YOU have been blessed with?

4 comments:

B said...

Awesome, beautiful stuff, Sarah. Thank you for sharing!

JoyfulBee said...

THANKS for sharing all of your ideas about Thanksgiving! AND...I LOVE the turkey. Do you add something you're thankful for everyday or so on one of the feathers? Pres. Monson certainly helps us to have perspective doesn't he! That's the blessing of having a living prophet. I just wanted to share with you one of my favorite phrases from the Book of Mormon in Alma 32 verse 38: "Live in thanksgiving daily." Isn't that a good one! I love you! Keep sharing! Your grateful for YOU, Mom!

Sarah said...

Yeah, Mom. We have 30 feathers in a little can behind the turkey. Each night at dinner we come up with one blessing that we want to write and then we tape it on to the turkey. By the end of the month he'll have quite the plume...and we'll hopefully be more grateful :0)

Walt and Julie Johnson said...

I just shared the same talk for Visiting Teaching! Love the turkey.