Monday, December 20, 2010

Vichyssoise.

Have I mentioned that since we've been married, Bry & I have had our own Christmas Eve and Christmas morning before the actual holiday? (So that we can start establishing our own little family traditions...our families have their own fun traditions and we typically celebrate with them on December 25th.). Typically on "Christmas Eve" we have a special dinner with Vichyssoise (a yummy potato and onion based soup that his Mom and Grandma would traditionally make this time of year) as the main dish.

Last night (19 Dec. 2010) I was setting the table extra nice for the occasion. I had only set two places because I figured that Brie would just sit in her high chair, like normal. She came into the room, saw the spread (and a little bowl of peanuts and M&M's on the table :0)) and started saying, "booster chair, booster chair!" Meaning that she wanted to sit WITH US at the table. I thought that was cute. Bry grabbed her little blue booster chair and we made room for our little bug...she was very excited! :0)


It was a nice evening. We ate dinner by candlelight (battery-powered since Brie was at the table), had Christmas music playing in the background and enjoyed each other's company. Afterward, we read "The Night Before Christmas" and sang a few Christmas hymns. Before putting Brie to bed we read her "Polar Express" (she loves trains!), a little board book on the nativity and ended the night by singing "Silent Night." This is the first year that Brie is starting to figure Christmas out. She still doesn't understand most of it, but it's starting to fall into place and it's cute to see. Anyway, YAY for family traditions :0)

3 comments:

Denise said...

What a fun tradition! I love that you and your hubby carve out time to celebrate things just the two of you (even if the little ones sneak their way in).

The Perry family said...

what a sweet family! Traditions make it extra special and make great memories.

B said...

Sarah, how utterly wonderful. I love you guys. Merry merry Christmas! We're very much looking forward to seeing you SOON! :D