Monday, April 2, 2012

Almost Cherry-Blossomed.

March 5-10, 2012.

At the beginning of March our little family set out to visit some friends in Springfield, Virginia. We stayed the first night in Ohio with the Ropers, made a minor detour to see Grandpa and Grandma's old house in Gaithersburg and got to the Broughs by Tuesday afternoon. It was so fun to see Rach again (it'd really been since college that we'd had a chance to connect) and to stay with her in a her family in their beautiful home!

Wednesday we spent at the mall (a part of downtown D.C.). We visited the Capital Building, walked through the Botanical Gardens (where I ran into Monica, a good friend from junior high) and spent some time in the Air & Space Smithsonian.

Downtown D.C.



We had a great time seeing the capital building...
not so sure about the kiddos. Look at those faces.

The Air & Space Smithsonian

That night Rachel's sweet neighbor, Linda, watched the kids while we went to see the monuments at night. They were impressive and beautiful, especially the Lincoln Memorial. And I could not believe how many names were listed on the walls at the Vietnam Memorial.... it's so sobering to think just what those names mean...all the children that lost their fathers, the wives that lost their husbands, the parents that lost their sons, the siblings that lost their brothers...

Monuments by night

We spent Thursday at Mount Vernon. It was a gorgeous day, the grounds were so nicely kept, and I was touched by the different accounts of George Washington and the leader that he had been for our Nation.


Mount Vernon


Once again, by the looks of it,
probably not the most exciting stop for the kiddos ;0)


Friday we went to see Regan perform in a dress rehearsal (Army Jazz Blue Band). What a treat. They are remarkable musicians and what fun music. We love jazz :0) Afterward we strolled around Arlington Cemetery and briefly stepped inside Robert Lee's home.

Arlington Cemetery





That night we were able to do sealings in the D.C. Temple. What a beautiful temple it is. We drove up just before sunset. What a sight. And how wonderful to be so warmly welcomed into the temple, no matter where in the World you're at. We finished off the evening at Maggiano's where we did a family style dinner. The food was great and it was so fun to chat with Rachel and Regan.

Washinton D.C. Temple and such
Thursday evening I went to the church with Rach for their Relief Society Birthday celebration. It was fun to see Rach orchestrate things, the food was yummy, the sisters were so nice, the messages were great, and it was nice to have an evening out without the kiddos. Thanks, Bry and Regan, for holding down the fort. (I was again thankful for having served a mission. Here I was surrounded by women I had never met while Rach (in charge of the event) was scurrying around getting things prepared. It wasn't a problem. I helped where I could and mingled and met new sisters throughout the evening. Oh how the Lord blesses us as we try to serve Him.)

It was a quick trip but well worth it. It was quite stirring to visit such a historic city and to feel of the patriotic spirit that is there. And we thoroughly enjoyed rubbing shoulders with the Broughs. It's inspiring to see the things that they are doing in their spheres of influence.

1 comment:

Denise said...

I can't wait to go back to DC! I loved living there.