Monday, April 2, 2012

G.R.E.E.N.

We woke up on St. Patrick's Day to thick fog. I thought it was just perfect for such a day, resembling Ireland and all. After breakfast the kiddos and I headed out for a stroll.



We didn't make it far since we found a myriad of clovers nestled in the grass along our walking path. I picked a handful of clovers while Brie collected the purple flowers (reminded me of Thumper on "Bambi" ;0)).



My 3 leaf clovers, Brie's purple flowers.

That afternoon we made final preparations for a St. Patrick's Day party that we were throwing.
For our date night, the night before we made rainbow cupcakes and an hour before the party we assembled the rainbow trifle. We had brainstormed it together so it was fun to see it take shape. We layered colored cake with a different fruit for each layer including: blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, mandarin oranges, pineapple and key lime pie filling. We topped it off with whipped cream and chocolate gold coins. (Next year we might try using natural dies, but other than that we might make it a family tradition. Before you know it we're going to have a different kind of trifle for each occasion ;0))

I'm lucky {blessed} because...

The party was so fun! Everyone brought something green or festive to share for the potluck, we had a "wearing the most green" contest, Irish trivia, A&W root beer, a few drawings*, a photo booth, and Irish music playing. (This time we also made more of an effort to have a designated "baby proof" area where the kids could play so that the parents didn't have to worry about them. It was a win-win.)

*I had Hershey kisses (Kiss me I'm Irish), green spearmint gum, little bags with chocolate gold coins and Werthers, and our neighbor Ruth Anne donated a beautiful necklace. In some of the prize bags we put this quote...

The happiest people I know are not those who find their [pot of gold]; they are those who, while in pursuit of worthy goals, discover and treasure the beauty and sweetness of the everyday moments. They are the ones who, thread by daily thread, weave a tapestry of gratitude and wonder throughout their lives. These are they who are truly happy.

-Dieter F. Uchtdorf

A few of the photo booth pictures.

No comments: