Monday, May 14, 2012

First official 5k.

(12 May 2012)
As one of my fitness goals I wanted to participate in a 5k for a cause.  Awhile back, thanks to a suggestion from a sister in our ward, we signed up for the Jim Schoemel 5k run.  Bry, Brie and I each got a t-shirt and number...and sweet, patient Alex was along for the ride.  (Well, so was Brie ;0))  We walked most of it (jogged down the hills), but kept a pretty good pace, especially considering the stops to keep the kids stocked on breakfast and for dropped sippy cups.  It was a beautiful morning, perfect overcast weather, the Webster Groves neighborhoods were lovely, but it was especially neat to do as a family.  It will definitely be the first of many walks for a cause.

This particular race is for ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's disease.  This year was specifically supporting Gina Byrd and her family.  Shortly after her husband's cancer was in remission she was diagnosed with ALS.  Not to mention that their son is autistic.  I was so glad that we could do our little part to help support them. If you want to find out about it...here is the info that the website offered.  (Or you can click here.)






  It was neat to be part of something larger than ourselves.  The women ahead of us were from the elementary school where the Byrd's son attends.  They were there to support his family.  I love the power that comes from individuals coming together for good.


 The Byrd family was waiting at the end of the race to cheer us all on and thank us for being there.  It was really touching to see them as we rounded the corner to finish mile 3.  I went back after to get their picture and got so emotional.  Mrs. Byrd was so sweet and took my hand and said, "I love you, I love you so much."  She could have been thinking, "who is this stranger who is all choked up?" but she was so gracious and kind.



 On the way home Brie serenaded us with primary songs, "I came to Earth with the power to choose..."  Sweet moments.  Sure love time spent with our little family.

No comments: